An easy and healthy spin on a Chinese takeout classic, this Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken requires just a few minutes of hands-on time (and of course a nifty crockpot). Serve over rice or quinoa for a quick and filling weeknight dinner, in less than the time it takes to order takeout.
Table of contents
Over the past year, one of my hobbies has been trying to recreate my favorite takeout dishes at home.
One of the first things I recreated was Sweet and Sour Chicken in the crockpot.
This Chinese takeout classic is one of my favorites and I’m excited that I’m now able to make it at home!
With bell peppers, onions, and pineapple, this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken may not taste exactly like the takeout version but I’d wager that it’s even better!
Each bite is packed with flavor, from the peppers and onions, as well as the handful of other ingredients.
It’s sweet but not overly so with the traditional umami taste provided by the soy sauce.
The best part of this dish is that it’s a truly hands-off, dump it and forget it meal.
All you need to do is add everything to the crockpot and then come back hours later for a perfectly cooked, ready-to-go dinner!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- Just 10 minutes of prep time
- Come home to a complete dinner ready to go
- Low carb and high protein
- The veggies cook with the meat
- SO much flavor
- Like your Chinese takeout but better
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Chopped onion
- Boneless chicken breast
- White sugar
- Orange juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Ginger paste
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker.
- Stir well to mix.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Optional: serve over white rice, brown rice, or quinoa.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Be sure your canned pineapple is made with juice, not syrup.
- Use low sodium soy sauce to control the level of salt in the dish.
- Cut chicken into similar-sized pieces for even cooking.
- You can also cook this on the stovetop, by cooking the chicken in a pan while the sauce simmers and simply combining the two at the end.
- The smaller you cut the pieces of chicken, the quicker they will cook.
- To keep it low-carb, serve over cauliflower rice.
HOW TO STORE SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
Yes, this recipe freezes well! Allow cooling completely then place in a freezer-safe, airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight prior to reheating.
Since there are veggies already in this slow cooker Chinese recipe, it’s super easy to turn it into a complete meal. It would traditionally be served over rice, and you can use cauliflower rice to keep it low carb. Quinoa is another healthy option as well.
It’s not recommended to put frozen chicken in the crockpot. Since it takes a while for a crockpot to heat up, it leaves too much time for bacteria to grow on the chicken. Your chicken may also not be done in time as well. It’s best to use thawed chicken in your slow cooker.