Serve up this Strawberry Banana Cake this spring and summer. A refreshing vanilla cake that is topped with a banana and strawberry whipped cream frosting. This strawberry banana dessert is one of a kind.
Table of contents
This double-layer cake is one I make a lot for potlucks, summer cookouts, or the occasional dessert to serve up after dinner.
It offers a gorgeous presentation.
If you are a fan of bananas, you will find this is a great overripe banana recipe that maximizes the banana flavor in each bite.
So pick your fresh strawberries and whip up this strawberry dessert with a tasty banana twist.
Why Make This Strawberry Banana Cake
- Easy layered cake
- Fresh strawberries in each bite
- Overripe bananas recipe
- Homemade whipped cream
- Potluck dessert or summer dessert
- Simple ingredients
Ingredients for Strawberry Banana Cake
- Baking Powder
- Whipping Cream
- Cream Cheese
How to Make Layered Strawberry Banana Cake
- Start by preheating your oven, and grease your 2 round cake pans, and spritz with cooking spray. Set them aside.
- Now in a stand mixer you will begin beating your butter and sugar on medium speed, to mix until it is creamy and fluffy.
- Now you will add in your eggs one at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides as you need. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Now in a bowl add your dry ingredients, and then slowly add in the dry to the wet. Divide the batter into two prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the center rack until the cake is fully cooked. Cool your cakes on a cooling rack until the cake is fully cooled.
- Now you will whip up the whipping cream in a small bowl, until it creates stiff peaks.
- In a bowl you are going to mix your cream cheese, sugar, and extract until it is smooth.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream. Then fold in the bananas, and fresh strawberries.
- Pipe the mixture on the cake, and sprinkle with fresh berries like in the recipe card.
Because of the whipped cream and fruit frosting this cake needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
Make sure the cake is fully covered and it will store for 3-6 days in the fridge. You will find the first thing to begin to spoil is the fruit in the frosting.
Expert Tips and Variations To Recipe
- Consider adding some mashed bananas into the cake batter for a banana cake, or even fresh berries diced up.
- You can make this into a sheet cake or even a 9x13 cake if you don't want to do a layered cake.
- I used 6 inch round cake pans for this recipe.
- Use other fruit like raspberries, blueberries, etc.
If you are making a layered cake, you will find you need to level a cake before you stack. Here are some simple steps on how to level your cake.
1. Use a knife or a cake leveler to slice off the top layer of the cake. Aim to slice evenly so you get a nice even cut.
2. Save back all the pieces of cake you don't use, and make cake bites, etc.
3. Assemble the cake.
Cake serving guide.
Not sure about cake portions or a cake serving guide? Wilton has a great guide for you to read and learn about the size of the cake, amount of servings, etc.
When buying a container of strawberries, you can use these tips to pick fresh and ripe berries. Look at the berries and make sure there is no soft spots on the berries.
Bright red color, green tops, are another great key to knowing you are buying ripe berries.