Winner winner chicken dinner! You've scored with this gourmet Spicy Chicken Mac N Cheese recipe. Picture chicken breast with a mac and cheese recipe. There is nothing better!
Table of contents
- Who Invented Mac and Cheese
- Can You Freeze Homemade Chicken Mac and Cheese?
- More Quick and Easy Chicken Dinner Ideas
- How Many Calories in One Large Chicken Breast?
- What Is the Difference Between Chicken Breast vs Chicken Tenderloin?
- Supplies Used to Make this Recipe
- How To Make Chicken Mac N Cheese
- ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
This is a skillet mac and cheese recipe that is finished up in the oven.
If you have an oven-safe skillet, you can take this recipe from the stovetop straight to the oven using only a couple of pans.
One of the easiest chicken breast recipes around, it could also easily be made into a homemade white cheddar mac and cheese with chicken recipe.
You'd only need to swap out the regular cheddar cheese for white cheddar cheese. Easy peasy.
Who Invented Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese has Italian origins and Thomas Jefferson has been linked to its claim to fame in the United States. It's said that he loved it so much that he made it all the rage in the US.
In it's original state, macaroni and cheese was more like macaroni pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese sauce. American cooks swapped out the Parmesan for cheddar cheese, and our traditional version of mac and cheese was born.
This recipe takes a spin on that original and creates a butter chicken mac and cheese.
Can You Freeze Homemade Chicken Mac and Cheese?
Yes! The short and sweet answer is yes, freeze that mac and cheese and save it for an easy dinner or lunch. It will be good in the freezer for up to a few months, just be sure that you use a freezer safe container to prevent freezer burn.
More Quick and Easy Chicken Dinner Ideas
If you have an Instant Pot (or are considering purchasing one), you might want to try this Everything but the Bagel Chicken. This Chicken Fajita Soup is another melt in your mouth chicken recipe we love.
How Many Calories in One Large Chicken Breast?
Most American recipes don't consider weight in food portions. In a recipe like chicken mac n cheese, it can make a big difference.
A recipe might call for a 6 oz chicken breast size, an 8 oz chicken breast, or just a chicken breast with no specification at all about how large it is.
While it doesn't matter so much for taste or flavor in savory recipes, it does matter when calculating calories.
So, how much does an average chicken breast weigh anyway? The answer is the average chicken breast is 5-6 ounces. Note the average. That means that some boneless skinless chicken breasts can weigh as much as 12 ounces.
This is something to consider when cooking, figuring out serving size, and especially if you're counting calories.
This recipe calls for two 6 oz chicken breasts. You should note the 6 oz chicken breast nutrition information shows a 6 ounce chicken breast will have about 267 calories. Double this amount if you are working with a large 12 ounce chicken breast.
Also, if a recipe calls for chicken breast without specifying the weight, the calculations in the nutrition information are only going to be approximates.
What Is the Difference Between Chicken Breast vs Chicken Tenderloin?
If you're after the best chicken ever, you'll want to try chicken tenderloin. It is the most tender chicken meat.
Tenderloin is also white meat, but chicken breast meat is actually the more nutritious than the tenderloin.
Supplies Used to Make this Recipe
- Kitchen scale | Get your measurements right and make sure you are using the right proportions by using a kitchen scale to measure your ingredients.
- Cast iron skillet (oven-safe) | Reduce the number of pans you need for this recipe by baking right in the skillet.
- Silicone tipped whisk | This is our favorite whisk. It works great for using with non-stick pans as well.
How To Make Chicken Mac N Cheese
There are a few steps to make this chicken mac and cheese recipe.
- First, you'll want to make macaroni noodles according to box instructions and then set aside. Or cook the noodles at the same time you cook the chicken and cheese sauce.
- Add the chicken, onions and peppers to a heated skillet and cook it until the chicken is pink. Scoop the chicken and vegetables into a bowl, if you'd like to make the cheese sauce in the same skillet. If not, just set aside.
- Next, you'll whip up a yummy cheddar cheese sauce. This is where you can switch the cheese out to white cheddar cheese if you'd like.
- To start, melt butter in the pan and then add in flour and whisk it until smooth. Add in the milk and keep whisking to make it completely smooth. Then, whisk in the cheese. Let the sauce cook for about 8 minutes on low heat, stirring on and off.
- After that, add the chicken and veggies back into the pan. If you have a skillet that can go in the oven, you're welcome to bake the mac and cheese right in the skillet. If not, spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and then transfer the macaroni and cheese into the pan.
- Top it with more cheese and crushed crackers, and bake!
This is quite literally a melt-in-your-mouth chicken bake that your entire family will love.