With shredded chicken and a handful of other ingredients, this Southern Chicken Salad recipe turns your rotisserie chicken into mouthwatering chicken salad croissants!
Table of contents
As we head into the summer months, I begin gravitating towards easy recipes that don't require heating up the entire kitchen.
Sandwiches and salads are the food of the summer here in my kitchen.
And sometimes I combine the two, like in today's Southern Style Chicken Salad!
With rotisserie chicken salad piled on croissants, this is not only a great way to use up leftover chicken, it's also the perfect thing to pack for picnics or lunch at work.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Perfect for packed lunches
- Only 5 ingredients needed
- One of the easiest shredded chicken recipes
- A great way to use up a rotisserie chicken
- Lots of optional add-ins to really make this your own
What You'll Need
You only need 5 ingredients plus optional add-ins to make this rotisserie chicken salad recipe! No rotisserie chicken? No worries - you can use chicken breast!
- Shredded chicken
- Green onions
- Croissant Rolls
- Desired Add-ins
How To Make Southern Chicken Salad
There's only 5 steps to making this chicken salad croissant! The perfect lunch for busy days.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the shredded chicken with the green onions, mayonnaise, and pepper
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 1 day ahead
- Slice the croissant rolls in half horizontally
- Stir in any desired add-ins
- Scoop about 1/4 of the chicken salad onto the bottom of each croissant. Place the top on the croissant and serve immediately
Tips For Making Southern Chicken Salad
- Prepare the salad up to a day in advance - but wait to add it to the croissants until it's time to eat.
- The longer the salad sits, the more flavorful it becomes - up to a day.
- If you don't have rotisserie chicken, you can easily boil and shred a chicken breast. You can also cook frozen chicken in an Instant Pot.
- Make Greek yogurt chicken salad by replacing some of the mayo with yogurt, if you're not a mayo fan.
The recipe above is for the most basic version of rotisserie chicken salad. From there, you can get creative and have fun! A few of my favorites are chicken salad with apples (green apples are best) and cranberry chicken salad. I love the tart flavor added by the apples and cranberry!
A few other add-in ideas:
- Bacon bites
- Diced onion
- Chopped celery
Most chicken breasts need to boil for about 10 minutes before they're done. The internal temperature should reach 165F. If you don't have a meat thermometer, you can usually assume they're done when the juices run clear.
Rotisserie chicken will last for up to 4 days. Make sure you check the date before grabbing it from the store, to ensure it's freshly cooked.
Since this recipe contains mayonnaise, it does not freeze well. The texture of mayonnaise changes when frozen and salads with mayonnaise are usually not great after being thawed.
Instead, you can freeze your rotisserie chicken so you always have some on hand to make this southern chicken salad.
This depends on how old the rotisserie chicken is when you make the salad. If you're fresh or you're using boiled chicken breasts, you can keep chicken salad with mayonnaise in the fridge for up to 4 days.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Spicy Chicken Tenders
- Chicken Crack Chili
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Gyros