Craving Mexican? Whip up a batch of the sour cream chicken enchiladas. This is an easy oven-baked enchilada recipe that is loaded with cheesy and creamy flavor.
Table of contents
This is a quick chicken enchiladas that is perfect for a dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Top with your favorite toppings and dive in.
You control the heat with the taco seasoning.
Buy a mild or ramp of up and go for a hot.
We are an in-between style, and I go for medium heat.
Serve with charro beans for a winning combination.
Here are the ingredients for the shredded chicken enchiladas. You can of course change up the ingredients to fit your preference.
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Chipotle Pepper
- Corn Tortillas
- Shredded Cheese
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
Full directions and measurements for these cheesy chicken enchiladas are in the recipe card below.
- Start with cooking up your chicken. I just tossed my chicken into boiling water and allowed them to fully cook. When it was done, remove the chicken and shred it.
- Then preheat your oven and begin working on assembling the chicken sour cream enchiladas.
- In a bowl game your sour cream and taco seasoning and mix till combined. Then pour ⅔ Of the mixture with the chicken.
- Stir well and then place tortilla down, add chicken, cheese, and roll.
- Place all the tortillas in a baking dish and pour leftover sour cream mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake as directed then serve with your favorite toppings.
- Diced tomatoes
- Black olives
- Guacamole or avocado
- Pick de Gallo
Can I Use Leftover Chicken For This Recipe
You can use leftover chicken if you have some on hand. Just shred of chop the chicken.
This is a tasty way to use up rotisserie chicken you have on hand. Just make sure the chicken is not overly seasoned. As it will be the stand out flavor in cheesy chicken enchiladas.
Best Tortillas to Use For Enchiladas?
For this recipe I recommend using flour tortillas. Learn how to make flour tortillas, and you can make this recipe from scratch!
Corn tortillas can be used but you want to warm them up first. If you don’t the corn tortillas will crack when you try to roll them.
Can I Make This Recipe With Ground Beef?
Not a fan of chicken? Go right ahead and make this recipe with beef. Just cook up and crumble the hamburger until fully cooked.
Assemble and bake just the same.
Grab a meat thermometer and probe the chicken in the largest part. You want the thermometer to read 165 degrees.
White chicken enchiladas are a sour cream-based enchilada. Most enchiladas have a green or red sauce, and in this recipe, I use sour cream as the base sauce.
Rolling enchiladas are so easy. Just place your filling in the center of a tortilla. Then fold in both sides, and roll up like a burrito.
Place the seam side down in the pan, to prevent the white enchilada from unraveling.
Wrap the corn tortillas in a damp towel or paper towel and heat for 30 seconds to a minute in your microwave. This will soften the corn tortillas so when you roll they don't break apart.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- Creamy Skillet Mac and Cheese Hamburger Helper
- One Pan Beef Enchiladas
- PINTO BEAN CASSEROLE
- CROCKPOT HOPPIN JOHN CASSEROLE