One of the most kid-friendly 4th of July desserts around, Red White And Blue Cake can be made for both birthday parties and 4th of July celebrations. Electric like a firecracker, whip out this recipe the next time you're in the mood for a burst of color and flavor.
Table of contents
How To Make Buttercream Frosting Without Heavy Cream
This buttercream frosting is made with heavy cream, but it could easily be made without it. Instead of using heavy cream, use milk instead. It will have a slightly different consistency, but it works just as good.
Mix the buttercream frosting with hand mixer, until it is smooth and the right consistency for spreading. This is best attained by adding 2-3 tablespoons of milk and then adding another tablespoon at a time until the frosting is the perfect consistency.
Can Buttercream Frosting Be Left Out?
Do you need to refrigerate buttercream frosting? Yes and no.
It's okay to leave buttercream frosting out on frosted cake or cupcakes for a day or two. Buttercream frosting can also be stored in the refrigerator.
If making buttercream frosting ahead of time, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
You can also make small batch buttercream frosting to eliminate the need for storage completely.
Best Way To Make Red Frosting
This is an easy red buttercream frosting. It's easy to learn how to get dark red frosting color, or really any colored buttercream frosting. We use Americolor gel food coloring to get a deep shade of any color for frosting.
In this recipe, we used Americolor red gel food coloring. It's a high quality brand with great reviews.
How to Make Blue Frosting
To mix blue buttercream cake frosting, simply mix the Americolor blue gel food coloring into a 1/2 cup of buttercream frosting.
This frosting is the best for the red and blue hombre frosting we use in this recipe, but is also perfect for blue frosting cupcakes...think cookie monster cupcakes.
You'd just use a different amount of gel food coloring to get the right shade of blue, or pick another shade of blue gel food coloring for icing cupcakes for a specific theme.
How To Make Red, White And Blue Cake
- Mix up the ingredients for the red velvet cake. After baking the cake, let it cool completely.
- Make the buttercream frosting, and then divide the frosting as the recipe instructions below explain. Top the cake with the white frosting.
- Next, mix up the blue and red frostings. Add the each color frosting to a disposable piping bag and then put both of those inside of another piping bag.
- Add a large star frosting tip and a frosting bag coupler and get ready to decorate. Pipe dollops of ombre frosting over the top of the white frosting, and then add patriotic sprinkles over the top of the frosting layer.
4th of July Cake Decorations For Red, White And Blue Cake
If you're looking for more patriotic snacks to make, this is a great one to add to your list. The buttercream frosting used in this recipe would also make a spectacular sugar cookie buttercream frosting. Then, top with some patriotic sprinkles for more red white and blue snacks!
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Pink Velvet Cupcakes
- Irish Apple Cake
- Banana Pudding
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies