Deliciously sweet and airy to the touch, Milk Bread has been a Japanese treat since the late 1800s and quickly grew to become the most internationally loved slice of heaven ever since. With a deliciously sweet twist to this traditional staple, our Milk Bread Rolls will have you recreating this dish on weekly rotation for dinners to come.
Table of contents
Seriously being one of the softest, air-like loaves of bread your taste buds will ever experience, these Milk Bread Rolls perfectly paired with ham or turkey slices will take your next family function or outdoor cookout to another level.
The golden, somewhat flaky pull-apart crust gets me every time.
Japanese Milk Bread Rolls are an ideal grab-and-go snack to satisfy all comfort levels.
When I first looked at this recipe, I was in awe at how fluffy the result turned out. It was like eating a piece of a cloud!
Plus, the beautifully round crusted tops remind you of store-bought biscuits in a can.
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- Most of the leg work will be done by your mixer, allowing you to work through the steps very quickly
- Use rolls for sandwich bread, dinner rolls, sliders, and even desserts (with a few simple tweaks added)
- Although they cannot be made last minute, if batched, can provide you with at least 2 weeks worth if properly sealed and stored
What You'll Need :
With 5 main ingredients plus a pinch of salt, you'll be well on your way to recreating this savory treat. Here's what you will need:
- All-purpose Flour
- Instant Yeast
- Softened Butter
- Condensed Milk
How To Make Milk Bread Rolls
Although the steps are a bit detailed, this won't stop you from making this a weekly favorite once you get the hang of it! It's right up there with our Brioche bread.
Here's how you get started:
- In a mixer or bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix evenly until a smooth dough is formed.
- Once mixed, add egg, milk, and condensed milk into dry mixture and mix on slow speed until blended smoothly. Give approximately 1 minute for this.
- After mixing, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and begin kneading the dough with your hands.
- Lightly grease a large mixing bowl or line it with plastic wrap and place dough inside gently.
- Cover tightly and let it sit for approximately 1.5 to 2 hours- it should double in size.
- After letting it sit, firmly roll the dough into a square or rectangle with a rolling pin.
- With a knife, cut the cylinder into pieces.
- Arrange the dough seam side down into your baking pan and cover with plastic wrap to let them rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake rolls until they are golden brown.
- When the rolls are done baking, brush the top with glaze and let them cool down before serving.
Tips For Making Milk Bread Rolls
- Ensure both the milk and condensed milk are room temperature warm before adding them into the dry mixture.
- Double make sure that you are rolling the dough away from you and not towards you so that the end seam is tucked underneath when placing it into the baking pan.
- These milk bread rolls can also be made with vegan or gluten-free bread flour.
- Vegan powdered eggs can be exchanged for eggs in this recipe.