Skip store-bought and make homemade tortillas that are soft, flavorful, and perfect to serve up with your favorite Mexican dishes. Learn how to make homemade tortillas at home today.
Table of contents
- Why You Will Enjoy This Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
- Ingredients For Homemade Flour Tortillas
- How to Make Flour Tortillas
- How to Store Leftover Tortillas
- Is it cheaper to make your own tortillas?
- Do you need a tortilla press to make tortillas?
- Why are my flour tortillas not puffing?
- What does baking powder do in tortillas?
- ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
I always got intimidated by homemade flour tortillas. I finally gave in and gave it a try. If you are unsure how to make tortillas let me help!
Why You Will Enjoy This Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
- 4 ingredients
- Simple steps
- Just like grandma's homemade flour tortillas
- Authentic flour tortillas
- Soft and tender
Enjoy this simple homemade flour tortilla recipe! It is one of my go-to to pair with dinner, use for making homemade enchiladas, burritos, Crock Pot Salsa Chicken and more. I also love these tasty tortialls with homemade refried black beans.
Ingredients For Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Baking Powder
How to Make Flour Tortillas
- First off, add in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well till combined.
- Add in the oil and water and mix up in a stand mixer until well combined and it forms a ball.
- Lay the flour out on a floured surface and cut it into 16 pieces. Roll each slice into balls.
- Place a towel over the balls and let them sit as directed below.
- Now preheat your skillet and roll out the flour tortillas into tortilla shapes. You can use a rolling pin or tortilla press.
- Cook your flour tortillas until little brown spots develop. Once done layout and allow to cool.
How to Store Leftover Tortillas
You will be able to store your leftover homemade Mexican tortillas in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Then when you are ready you can warm them up and then enjoy as you would like.
Homemade tortillas with butter are one of my favorites, or use to make any recipe you would like.
Is it cheaper to make your own tortillas?
You will find that making your own tortillas are worth making. The price it costs to make your flour tortillas will shock you on how easy and affordable they are to make.
Do you need a tortilla press to make tortillas?
You do not need a tortilla press to make these tortillas. Grab your rolling pin and use it to shape your tortillas.
It is okay that it is not perfectly round. They will taste better than any store-bought tortilla you have bought.
Why are my flour tortillas not puffing?
If your tortillas are not puffing up as you cook them it means your dough was not wet enough. You will find that your dough being too dry it will not fluff up the way you want.
It will still taste good, the texture might be a bit off though. But you will know for next time.
What does baking powder do in tortillas?
Baking powder acts as a leavening agent for the tortillas. You will find some recipes call for baking powder and other recipes do not call for it.