Creamy and cheesed to the heavens, this Ham And Cheese Cauliflower Casserole is the ultimate keto side dish to try out! Perfect for potlucks or as a dinner side, this casserole is loaded with thick cuts of ham, and sharp cheddar cheese and comes together in just under an hour! Read on to find out more...
Table of contents
Diet and exercise.
I can say that when I'm focused and in the zone, I'm a rockstar!
My water levels are on track, my salads are pre-prepped, and when I get the urge to grab something sweet and sugary, like, say, a bowl of Banana Pudding, I try my hardest not to surf through my pantry.
However, whenever I slump through a complicated day or feel my willpower dwindling from a stressful encounter, I'm running for the first heavy plated, feel-good food option I can get my hands on.
Cue Ham And Cauliflower Casserole!
Whether you follow the keto lifestyle or not, you are going to LOVE this creamy, cheese Cauliflower Casserole!
It’s the healthy version of a cheesy ham and rice casserole, with loads of cauliflower and chunks of ham under the creamy sauce.
In fact, it’s so cheesy that this dish is sometimes just referred to as “cauliflower cheese”!
When you consider how cheesy and cream this dish is, it’s hard to believe it’s a low carb side dish but it is!
I’d consider it the ULTIMATE keto side dish and it’s one that I know for sure will have your guests begging for the recipe.
The ingredients are fairly simple, nothing fancy here, and there’s only about 10 minutes of hands-on time, which is great!
It’s typically served as a side dish but, honestly, you could get away with calling it a meal too!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s low carb and keto-friendly!
- Only 20 minutes of hands-on time
- Great for potluck dinners
- Everyone loves it – even if they’re not low carb!
- Super creamy and cheesy sauce
- Only a handful of ingredients
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Another thing to love about this cheesy cauliflower and ham casserole is that it's made with just a handful of ingredients!
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Green onions
HOW TO MAKE HAM AND CHEESE CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
You'll only need about 10 minutes of hands-on time to get this cheesy keto casserole ready for the oven!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and fill a large stockpot with water and about 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, add the cauliflower florets and cook florets until soft.
- Once cauliflower is soft, drain and transfer to the casserole dish.
- Next, add in the ham and tuck in the cauliflower florets.
- Grab a large skillet and your butter, and melt the butter over medium-low heat, adding in the heavy cream once it begins to bubble.
- Simmer the mixture for approximately 10 minutes, then stir in 2 ½ cups of the cheese.
- Once the sauce has thickened, pour over the cauliflower and ham and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the cauliflower begins to brown.
TIPS FOR MAKING HAM AND CHEESE CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
- Turn this dish into the ultimate loaded cauliflower casserole by swapping the ham for bacon and adding a dollop of sour cream – just like a loaded baked potato! (But healthier!)
- Omit the ham to turn this into a vegetarian keto side dish!
- Add sliced jalapenos or a can of green chilis for a spicy twist.
- Frozen cauliflower is perfectly fine for this recipe, just adjust the cooking time in the beginning.
- Turn it into a complete meal by adding extra ham.
HOW TO STORE HAM AND CHEESE CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
This cheesy keto cauliflower casserole can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just cover it well or place in an airtight container. If you store it in the casserole dish, you can easily pop it in the oven to reheat it.
You can also reheat it in the microwave – since the sauce is so creamy, it won’t dry out easily.
You can freeze this keto cauliflower casserole but be prepared for the texture to change. Cauliflower contains a lot of water, which it releases when frozen then thawed. If you do want to freeze your cauliflower cheese, do so in a pan that you can take straight from the freezer to the oven. When you’re ready to enjoy, bake it directly from frozen for the best results.
While it does contain some ingredients that may not be considered healthy, this recipe is low carb and falls within the keto guidelines. If you’re following a low-fat diet, this casserole isn’t for you but otherwise, it can definitely be part of a healthy lifestyle.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- CREAMY SKILLET MAC AND CHEESE HAMBURGER HELPER
- Crockpot Taco Casserole Ground Beef
- Butternut Squash Casserole