If you're looking for a decadent, fancy(ish) that doesn't require special skill, this Chocolate Malt Cake is it! With a few shortcuts, this decadent Whopper Cake is made mostly from scratch and sure to impress all guests.
For this recipe we're talking about the Whopper candy, the malted milk balls...NOT the (equally delicious) fast food Whopper which was the first image that popped into my mind. While I'd love to be talented enough to recreate that Whopper in icing on a cake, I am not.
This Whopper Candy Cake recipe is broken into 3 parts - the butter cake recipe, the chocolate malt frosting recipe, and the chocolate ganache recipe for decorating.
Table of contents
I've broken down the instructions for each of the 3 parts, plus assembly and decorating.
It looks like a lot but trust me, this Whopper Candy Cake is actually quite simple to make!
The base is actually a butter cake mix, straight from the package. No need to worry about measuring out dry ingredients because we're just going to prepare the box mix and continue to the frosting.
I know, I know...if you're using cake mix, does it really count as "from scratch"? Well, in this case since we're not following the box instructions exactly and adding so much to the recipe, I think it does.
One thing to note is that this is a layer cake, so you'll want to make sure you have 3 round pans before starting.
If you don't have the round pans or don't want to make a layer cake, you can also follow the instructions and bake like a regular cake too. It may not look as fancy but you'll get all of the delicious frosting and that's really what this recipe is about, isn't it? Frosting and candy!
In between each layer is a heavenly chocolate cake filling of creamy, sweet icing.
The entire cake is covered then covered in the frosting and topped with chocolate ganache drip.
The chocolate ganache frosting is to die for. I have to stop myself from eating it by the spoonful! See below for how to make ganache, whether it's for this decadent dessert or any other chocolate ganache cake.
Top with crushed chocolate malt balls and you have the ultimate chocolate lover's dream cake!
Serve as a birthday cake or just as a special dessert and impress all of the guests!
For the Whopper Candy Cake
- Butter cake mix
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
For the Chocolate Malt Icing
- Unsalted butter
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Heavy whipping cream
- Malted milk powder
- Powdered sugar
- Whopper candy, half crushed and set aside
For the Milk Chocolate Ganache
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heavy whipping cream
- 3 (9-inch) round cake pans
- 9-inch round parchment paper
- 3 (10-inch) round cake board
- Cake leveler
- Large piping bag with star tip
- Mini angled spatula
- Squeeze bottle
How To Make Chocolate Whopper Cake
- To make the base for this decadent chocolate cake, begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray each of the 3 cake pans with baking spray and line them with round parchment paper.
- Beat all cake ingredients together with a standing mixer until smooth and combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into all 3 cake pans.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Allow them to cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Malted Frosting
- Beat all frosting ingredients together with a standing mixer, until smooth and combined.
- Scoop two cups into a piping bag and set them aside.
How to Make Chocolate Ganache
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a small pot over medium heat.
- Add chocolate chips to a heat-safe bowl.
- When the heavy whipping cream begins to simmer, remove from heat and pour onto the chocolate chips.
- Let sit for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache into a squeeze bottle.
How to Assemble the Chocolate Whopper Cake
- Once they have cooled completely, remove the cakes from the pan and onto cake boards.
- Remove the domes from the cakes with a cake slice, to create flat, equal layers.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting onto one of the layers and spread evenly.
- Place the second cake on top of the frosting.
- Spread another cup of frosting on top of the second cake.
- Place the last layer on top and frost with the remaining frosting, aside from what you've set aside in the piping bag.
- Place the cake in the fridge while you make the chocolate ganache.
How to Decorate the Cake
- Pipe dollops down the side of the frosted cake with the ganache.
- Pipe dollops of frosting on the top of the cake.
- Place a whopper in each frosting dollop.
- Sprinkle crushed whoppers on the top.
Don't Miss These Other Decadent Desserts:
- Red Velvet Oreo Mini Cheesecake
- Pink Velvet Cupcakes
- Blue Macarons with White Chocolate Ganache
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies