Crockpot Hoppin John Casserole is one of those feel-good meals that you don’t mind consistently over-indulging in. From the hickory smoke flavor of ham bone and garlic cloves matched with a few bay leaves and a hint of thyme, this meal is sure to have everyone adjusting their belt buckles and feeling too tight to get up and walk away.
Table of contents
Hands down, I believe that how you prep your black-eyed peas makes or breaks this classic southern favorite.
Some say that you need parsley, sage, and rosemary to bring out their full flavor, while others say that a simple water rinse and overnight soak will do the trick.
Personally, I like to give my meals a bit of flavor, so I’m always in favor of the flavor (yes, I did that on purpose).
However, when it comes to using a slow cooker, there’s no need to prep with seasoning.
If you are used to using a slow cooker, then you know the ease at which you can toss in all your main ingredients, spices, and meats, set it on the desired temperature, and let it work its magic.
Slow Cooker Hoppin John Casserole is no different. Let’s show you how to create this on your own!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Definitely a grab and toss meal with minimum effort
- Southern comfort with a kick!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Here's what you will need to prepare your Hoppin John Casserole:
- Ham Bone
- Black-eyed Peas
- Green Bell Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Bay Leaves
- Dried Thyme
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Chicken Broth
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- Raw Rice
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT HOPPIN JOHN CASSEROLE
- Inside the slow cooker, place your ham plus all ingredients- minus the rice- into the cooker.
- Top the slow cooker and allow ingredients to cook on high for a minimum 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove the ham and shred the meat and then return back to the slow cooker. At the same time, add your rice and make sure to place the rice underneath the liquid in order to properly cook.
- Recover and allow ingredients to cook for another 2 hours.
- Once the rice is tender, turn the slow cooker to low heat and add in bay leaves.
TIPS FOR MAKING CROCKPOT HOPPIN JOHN CASSEROLE
- Fresh seasonings! No, seriously, there is a huge difference between fresh picked or store-bought bay leaves and dried thyme than the ones that have been sitting in your pantry for a questionable amount of years
- No need to prep your ham. Place your ham along with all the required ingredients inside the slow cooker, and it will break down the meat for you- saving you a lot of time in pre-prep work
- You have the option of removing the ham from the cooker to shred it or taking your forks or shredder and doing it while still inside the slow cooker
- If you are looking for sticker rice, we recommend removing the starch by allowing the rice to rinse off a few times until the rice water runs clear. Drain the water and then add the rice to the crockpot.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN POT PIE
- CREAMY SKILLET MAC AND CHEESE HAMBURGER HELPER
- CROCKPOT TACO CASSEROLE GROUND BEEF