Ready for an easy cheesy chicken and rice Crockpot dinner recipe? This Crockpot Chicken and Rice Crockpot recipe will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker family meals.
If you're looking for kid friendly crock pot meals, be sure to add this slow cooker rice and chicken recipe to your meal plan.
Table of contents
- Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Crock Pot?
- How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- What To Serve With Chicken And Rice
- Alternative to Greek Yogurt
- Can You Leave Cheese Out Of Recipe
- Can you cook raw chicken and rice together?
- Why Use Brown Rice In Casserole
- More Recipe Ideas To Try
Chicken and rice is a total comfort food. This crock pot rice and chicken is one that is loaded with flavor, and a dish the whole family can enjoy.
Whip up this easy crockpot chicken dinner tonight. It will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker recipes. It's at the very top of my favorite crockpot chicken recipes, right next to Salsa Chicken.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Crock Pot?
Yes, you can cook raw chicken in a crockpot. This is safe to do and frequently called for in many recipes. This slow cooker chicken breast recipe is completely safe to cook with raw chicken.
However, the FDA advises against cooking frozen chicken in the crockpot. So, even with easy casserole recipes, you'll want to defrost chicken before adding it into the slow cooker.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
The crockpot meal prep for this recipe couldn't be easier! Like many chicken and rice dishes, the number of ingredients isn't overwhelming.
Start by spraying your crockpot with a cooking spray. Then toss in the brown rice, carrots, green onions, and mustard. Cooking rice in Crock-Pot right along with the chicken infuses flavors throughout each and every bite.
Remove any skin on the chicken breasts and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir and then toss in the chopped chicken breasts. Add in your seasonings, and pour the chicken broth in.
Cover and cook on high as directed in the recipe card. Then toss in the frozen peas, yogurt, and stir to combine with the cooking chicken. Cook another 5-7 minutes.
Stir in cheese, garnish and serve up a tasty chicken with rice and vegetables.
What To Serve With Chicken And Rice
- Homemade bread or dinner rolls
- Green side salad
- Vegetable side dish
This chicken and rice is a meal in one essentially. But, feel free to pair with any and all of your favorite side dishes.
Alternative to Greek Yogurt
If you are not a fan of Greek yogurt you can use a classic plain yogurt or even sour cream as an alternative to mix in.
The Greek yogurt is a healthier alternative as you gain some good protein, but feel free to swap it out if you would like.
Can You Leave Cheese Out Of Recipe
If you want you can leave out the cheese at the end. We love the cheesy flavor but it will taste just as tasty without stirring it in. Either way, this crockpot chicken and rice is delicious.
Can you cook raw chicken and rice together?
You can safely cook raw chicken and rice together in your slow cooker. The two will cook up nicely together, and it will help add flavor and depth to your chicken and rice recipe.
- Meal prep containers - we love these meal prep containers for make-ahead and freezer meals. The size is perfect for putting up single-serving lunch and dinner meals.
- CrockPot - This is the best size crockpot for a wide range of meals. Its 8-quart size is ideal, and it also comes with a mini crockpot. We love it for our salsa chicken, mac and cheese, and buffalo chicken dip.
- CrockPot liners - Use these liners to prevent messes in your crockpot and make kitchen clean up so much easier.
- Cajun bouillon cubes - These flavorful bouillon cubes are excellent for adding zest to casseroles like this one, as well as soups and stews.
Why Use Brown Rice In Casserole
- Brown rice is heartier so it will hold up better for a longer cook time in the crock pot. Where if you used a white rice you might find it breaks down a bit more and can become mushy.
- Also, brown rice has more fiber and protein. So you can create a healthier version to a classic chicken and rice recipe.
- This is one recipe that needs to be cooked on high, due to the rice. If you cook it on low, it will make your rice mushy.
- You can always cook without the rice on a low heat for the day. Then when you get home stir in cooked brown rice, yogurt, and stir in cheese.
Storing And Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
If you like to meal prep you can indeed use this rice and chicken dish to store for grab and go meals for lunches or dinner.
In terms of storage, it will store for around three days in the fridge. You can warm up in the microwave, skillet or cover in aluminum foil and heat in the oven. We love these single-serving meal prep airtight containers.
If you find the texture is thicker, add a bit of stock in to help add moisture to your chicken and rice.