Cream Cheese Frosted Chocolate Cake is a quick and easy dessert to make and will be a real treat for all your guests to enjoy.
If you're not a fan of regular frosting, then you're really missing out. This mix of chocolate chips, powdered sugar, and cream cheese is simply blissful. Real sugary heaven! And maybe, just maybe, it might become a weeknight favorite.
Table of contents
I've enjoyed many chocolate cakes in my day, but nothing has come close to this cream cheese frosted chocolate cake.
A traditionalist at heart, I took the old stand-by, cake blend (flour, sugar, eggs, and butter) and blended it with powdered sugar and fresh vanilla.
But this time, instead of popping it into the oven, I choose to toss in a couple of scoops of cream cheese.
Cream cheese is one of those items that can seemingly integrate with anything.
Brownies, cookies, pastries, cupcakes- you name it, cream cheese is a true compliment!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE CREAM CHEESE FROSTED CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Uses ingredients you already have stored in your pantry or fridge
- Simple to create
- Refrigerator safe
- Freezer safe
- Can be layered for use as a wedding or birthday dish
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Tossing in the original cake crew: all-purpose flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and milk, here's what else you'll need to create cream cheese frosted chocolate cake:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Semisweet chocolate bars or chips (melted)
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
One thing I have to stress is the importance of fresh eggs, vanilla, and milk. These three (whether combined or separate) can make a world of difference to your end product if they have soured or are nearing souring.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTED CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl.
- Attach flat beater and set speed to 2 for 1 minute.
- Add eggs and chocolate and continue on speed 2 for 30 seconds.
- Pour batter into pans and bake for 30-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- You now have your chocolate cake base.
Be sure when measuring out your flour that you are using the Spoon and Level method. This means instead of dipping the measuring cup into the flour to scoop it out (I'm guilty of this, unfortunately), you use a spoon instead.
The purpose of the spoon is to scoop out only as much flour as required for the recipe. This method helps reduce the risk of having too much flour in your mix- which can throw off the texture and moisture balance and leave you with a hard and crunchy end result. Something we do not want in chocolate cake.
HOW TO MAKE FROSTING
- Combine butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar until creamy, then add vanilla.
- Frost the cake as desired.
If you want to put the cream cheese frosting in a pipe and it is a little too soft, put the frosting in a piping bag and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
TIPS FOR MAKING CREAM CHEESE FROSTED CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Add sliced bananas to garnish on top of the frosting. This Banana-Chocolate flavor combination is exquisite. Give it a try!
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- RED VELVET CINNAMON BUNS
- CHOCOLATE CHIP AND COCONUT MAGIC BARS
- CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- RED VELVET CHEESECAKE BROWNIES