Woo and dazzle your guests with this delicious Red Wine Chicken with Creamy Orange Sauce recipe. Blending together a perfect combination of orange zest, lemon, and red wine, this decadent dish is sure to spark a second (or third) helping frenzy.
Table of contents
Everyone likes to feel like the hero when cooking in the kitchen, and if no other dish can make you feel this way our Red Wine Chicken With Creamy Orange Sauce definitely will!
The first step to this dish is preparing your chicken.
Whether frozen or fresh, after cleaning, you need to slice your chicken into smaller pieces.
I like to add a bit of the brandy and lemon juice mixture to the chicken prior to searing to give it more of a robust flavor, but this is completely optional.
SIDE DISHES FOR RED WINE CHICKEN
This recipe can be served with vegetables, salad, or rice, but if you don't have any of that on hand then here are a few other suggestions.
- Garlic toasted breadsticks or baguette
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Angel Hair Pasta
- Roasted tomatoes
Another important thing to note about this dish is that there are two different types of seasoning: dry and wet.
Dry seasoning is what you use when you're going to fry something, and wet indicates that you will be using a sauce or some form of liquid when cooking it.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Before preparing your red wine chicken, be sure to have cubed cream cheese, cornstarch, green onions, and salt and pepper on hand as well as the following ingredients:
- 4 pounds of chicken, breasts or thighs, or a combination
- Brandy or Dry red wine
- White wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Orange extract
- Fresh orange juice
- Grated orange zest
- Stevia powder
HOW TO MAKE RED WINE CHICKEN
- First, sear the chicken in hot oil inside skillet and then place inside 9x13 pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the brandy (or substitute), wine vinegar, lemon juice, orange extract, orange zest, stevia powder.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 180 F.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove the chicken to a foil-covered plate and strain the juices in the pan into a medium-sized saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat.
Click on the recipe card below to continue reading the full recipe.
HOW TO COOK RED WINE CHICKEN WITHOUT USING OIL (HEALTHY TIP)
- Place the chicken in a container, without crowding them. Prick them with a fork repeatedly and evenly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let it sit for a couple of minutes to absorb the flavor. Place the skillet over medium heat (no oil).
- When the skillet is hot, add the chicken and put a lid on it. Lower the heat to cook over low heat.
- After a couple of minutes, flip the chicken pieces so that they cook evenly and put the lid back on the skillet.
I prefer to use a deep skillet for frying because you can fit more in and maintain the temperature better.
But remember when deep-frying anything: less oil on top of your food means less grease running down into your stomach later on!
COOKING WITH BRANDY
Traditionally, when opting to use brandy it is recommended that you use no more than a teaspoon so that it doesn't overpower your dish.
For this red wine chicken with creamy orange sauce recipe, we are using 1/4 cup of brandy as it will be in direct competition with the acids inside the lemon juice and white wine vinegar.
If you can swing for it, look for a good quality brandy that has key notes of starchy vegetables or oak.
Everyone will ask you for more!
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- AIR FRYER TURKEY BREAST
- LOBSTER CRAB BISQUE
- SLOW COOKER SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- BISCUIT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE