Chicken Verde Skillet Dinner is a healthy and wildly colorful stovetop meal that is sure to turn the heads of many! The first bite of crumbled manchego cheese sprinkled on top of a bed of pinto beans and shredded chicken will have you wishing you'd tried this sooner.
Get ready to keep pinto beans on hand because the family's going to be demanding this dish!
Table of contents
Chicken Verde is a classic Mexican dish that has chicken simmering in an herb blend of chili powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, and chopped green chillis.
Served over a bed of rice, broccoli, or in our case, alongside warm corn tortillas, this meal is a savory treat for mid-weeknight meals and holiday events.
The word 'verde' is short for 'green' and is derived from Latin American and Italian descent.
It is a dish prepared traditionally in skillets and soup pots but has evolved into stews and instant pot variations that are good, if not, better than the traditional methods.
No matter how you decide to cook it, Chicken Verde is divine and after a few bites of our skillet-made version, you'll be well on your way to singing its praises.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE CHICKEN VERDE SKILLET DINNER
- 30-minute total cook time
- Can easily substitute chicken for steak
- Easy-to-find ingredients
- Keto friendly (minus the tortillas)
- Meal-prep stable
For this recipe, you must have the chicken cooked beforehand. You can buy it done, but in case you have to cook it on your own.
Some opt for a rotisserie chicken while others prefer simple chicken breast cutlets.
For us, we prefer the flavor. So if you have the option to shred and cook rotisserie style, then by all means you have the go-ahead.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Yellow onion, chopped
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Corn starch
- Chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Chili powder
- Chopped green chilies
- Pinto beans, canned
- Shredded chicken
- Sour cream
- Corn tortillas
- Manchego cheese, crumbled
- Queso Fresco, crumbled
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN VERDE SKILLET DINNER
- Turn the broil function on your oven.
- Using a large oven-safe skillet, melt the butter over medium to high heat.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 1 C of chicken broth until combined, set aside.
- Pour the other 1 C of broth into the skillet and bring to a slow simmer.
- Add in the onion and cook until almost soft.
- Mix in the green chilies, pinto beans, and shredded chicken.
- Continue to cook for 15 minutes or until the broth is gone.
For the full recipe, please review the recipe card below.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN VERDE SKILLET DINNER
Here are some tips for cooking the best chicken:
- Thaw it at room temperature. Especially in summer when, due to the high temperatures, bacteria can easily appear and contaminate the meat. The best way to defrost the meat is to put it in a sealed kitchen bag and submerge it in cold water that we will change as it warms up.
- From the fridge to the pan. On the other hand, if taking the chicken out of the freezer directly and leaving it in the kitchen is not a good idea, if the chicken was in the fridge, it is advisable to remove it 15 minutes before putting it on the fire to get it to cook more evenly.
- Using utensils that have touched raw meat. Raw poultry meat is the ideal setting for salmonella if it is not handled correctly, so it is important to thoroughly wash all the utensils that we have used to prepare the chicken. Never leave the cooked chicken on the plate where the raw meat has been. And the same with knives and so on. And don't forget to wash your hands very well after handling raw meat.
ADDITIONAL RECIPES TO TRY
- CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- CHICKEN QUESADILLA RING
- ONE PAN BEEF ENCHILADAS
- CROCKPOT TACO CASSEROLE GROUND BEEF
- CREAMY SKILLET MAC AND CHEESE HAMBURGER HELPER