Who says butternut squash has to just be a healthy side option? Drenched in salted butter and coated with cinnamon-dusted vanilla pecans, our Butternut Squash Casserole is sure to be an immediate crowd pleaser! Whether paired with a good Chardonnay or a spiced punch, this festive dish will be the centerpiece of your next holiday event.
Table of contents
In all my life, I'd never thought I'd see the day where I would wake up craving butternut squash.
I mean, it's squash!
With a rich, butterscotch-like flavor, you'd think more people would be in love with it, but from my experience, unless I pair it with words like 'candied' or 'vanilla glaze', or simply 'sugared' my family goes running for it.
It's a well-known fact that squash doesn't get its props from the younger generation; however, that doesn't stop it from being the first dish emptied at the holiday parties- with the younger ones usually being front and center.
Kudos goes to the cinnamon coating and shiny vanilla glaze, though, because it completely engulfs this dish in such a sweet aroma that no one notices that it's squash.
Actually, I kind of get a kick out of it.
I love seeing the looks on people's faces when they guess what the dessert is made out of, and I finally tell them it's squash.
Shock covers their faces once I tell them that this is indeed butternut squash as they cannot believe something so 'healthy' sounding could taste so wickedly good.
Now, this dish is not just for holiday festivities, in case you're wondering.
By all means, should you be on the prowl for a nice evening dessert to pair with a bowl of ice cream or as a helpmate to our nutmeg-infused Honey Baked Ham, this Butternut Squash Casserole will not disappoint.
Go ahead and give it a try and come back and tell us how shocked your family and friends were!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Cinnamon, vanilla, and pecans make this dish a memorable delight!
- Can be paired with poultry, casseroles, and even vegetable items.
- Most ingredients can already be found lounging in your pantry.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Only 9 ingredients are needed for this dish. Here's what you'll need:
- Butternut squash
- Cinnamon marshmallow twists
- Salted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans
- Brown sugar
- Sweetened condensed milk
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE
Your oven should be pre-heating and your butternut squash already cleaned and split in two. Here's what you'll need to do to make this Butternut Squash Casserole:
- Place your butter inside a large skillet over medium-high heat, and brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the butter has browned, remove a portion, and set it aside for later use.
- Add in the butternut squash for approximately 1 minute and then immediately remove from heat. Place buttered squash into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, add flour and reserved browned butter and stir until well blended.
- When the mixture begins to form crumbles, stir in brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sweetened condensed milk, blend and finally transfer into a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with cinnamon marshmallow twists and chopped pecans and place into the oven on the center rack for 30 minutes.
- Once completely baked, remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm!
TIPS FOR MAKING BUTTERNUT SQUASH CASSEROLE
- You do not want your squash to turn into mush, so make sure that you only cook for no longer than 2 minutes inside the skillet and allow it to cool down before baking.
- Save a bit of the crumbled flour to use as sprinkle topping when placing it into the oven.