Biscuit Chicken and Dumplings is a soul-warming dish that can be enjoyed either rain or shine. With hearty chunks of chicken, warm, chewy dough, and enough tender vegetables to keep your kid's suspicions at bay, this dish will quickly become a weeknight staple after giving it a try. Read on to learn more!
Table of contents
Nothing (and I mean nothing) sends my family running for the hills than at the mention of vegetables for dinner.
It gives me a good laugh to see their faces when I bring up anything green or give any hint that dinner will not come in a box or bag.
But I learned my lesson.
Growing up, my family made it a point to make soup a part of our weekly meal plan, and I always fought against it.
Whether it was chicken noodle, tomato soup, or white bean soup, when it was laid out in front of me, my arms crossed, and my nose went up to my mother's annoyance.
But she was persistent, and whatever the family tried to skimp over at the table, she simply froze and re-packaged the next week, adding a bit more to freshen it up.
I didn't value soup back then like I do now, mainly because I was over it.
But seeing how you can incorporate all main food groups, toss it into a pot (or electric cooker), and go on with your life, made me rethink my stance and make it a weekly staple in my household too.
Boy, how the tables turn.
Biscuit Chicken and Dumplings is a perfect meal that will satisfy both spectrums of eaters.
For the health-conscious, large portions of vegetables and immune-boosting broth will surely get your juices flowing, while those leaning more towards the bread and meat category can be satisfied with thick chunks of dough and savory chicken pieces.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Immune boosting and gut cleansing
- Can easily be converted to a crockpot meal for on-the-go folks
- Freezable up to 4 months
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Cream of chicken soup
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Celery stalks
- Canned biscuits
- Salt & Pepper
HOW TO MAKE BISCUIT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Here’s what you’ll need to create the biscuit chicken and dumplings:
- With a large pot, bring chicken, broth, bell pepper, red onion, and celery to a boil and continue to simmer until chicken is tender.
- Once the chicken is tender, transfer to a medium-size bowl, add cream of chicken soup and frozen peas and carrots to the pot, and whisk until smooth.
- Next, shred your chicken into chunks and add it back into the pot to boil on medium-high heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- Grab your canned biscuits and roll each one into a rope shape, careful not to make them too thin so that they do not break apart once inside the pot.
- Now, take dumplings and pinch each into 3 separate dumplings and add to pot. Continuously stir.
- Continue to boil and stir until dumplings are firm and soup has noticeably thickened.
TIPS FOR MAKING BISCUIT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- Peas and carrots can either be frozen or canned
- Corn can be added to this recipe without a major change in flavor
- For additional flavor, you can pre-season chicken and allow it to sit in the refrigerator the day before creating this dish